There are many ways you can get involved with Kaikoura Museum and we welcome all queries.
We have a committed and loyal group of Museum members who support us through their annual subscriptions. Membership offers real value and is a great way of keeping up with our activities.
In return for your annual subscription you will receive:
- Free entry to the Museum throughout the year
- A free guest pass to give to a friend or visitor
- Regular newsletters updating you on Museum activities
- Invitations to exhibition previews and other Museum events
- Discounts on paid events
- Primary school aged children get automatic membership to our juniors club with Family membership
- Business Membership option
Our membership year runs from 1 April to 31 March.
To apply, fill in our online membership application form.
As a proudly independent Museum, and registered charity, Kaikoura Museum receives no regular funding. We rely on membership subscriptions and donations to help us fund our conservation, restoration and collection projects. We welcome all donations to support our activities.
- If you wish to make a donation our bank account number is
Please put your name and “donation” into the reference fields when depositing a donation into our account
- If you would like to talk to us about a bequest or how your donation would be used please contact the Museum Manager.
- Please contact us if you require a receipt for your donation
Please contact us if you wish to donate an item to our collection. We have to be careful when accepting items into our collection to ensure we are able to take appropriate care of them, have the space for them and that they meet our policy of being from or significantly related to the history of the Kaikoura District and its people.
Volunteers play an important role at Kaikoura Museum helping us maintain our collection and enhancing the visitor experience.
We offer our volunteers:
- A welcoming, relaxed, supportive and fun working environment
- A modern state of the art museum that you will be proud to be associated with
- A full induction and training package so you can make the most of your experience
- An opportunity to learn new skills and give positively to your community
- A variety of interesting tasks to get involved with including front of House, Hosting and Collection Support.
If you can spare at least 3 hours per month and would like to learn more please contact us for an application pack or fill in our online volunteering application form
Special Projects Support
From time to time we require the support of volunteers with specialist skills to help us with various activities such as developing exhibitions and education programmes, planning fundraising events, undertaking research projects and so on. We would love to hear from anyone who has skills, experience or knowledge in the following areas:
- Museums, libraries or galleries
- Event planning and management
- Developing and implementing education programmes
- Fundraising and marketing